Thursday, December 18, 2008

"When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth..."

That's Matthew 19v22, in case you don't know. The story of the 'rich, young ruler'. Obviously it doesn't apply to me, cos I'm not rich...

Or am I?

www.globalrichlist.com is a bit of an eye opener. I put in my annual salary and this is what it told me:

Quite shocking, really.

I listened to last week's sermon from The Meeting House yesterday. It was about money. One statement that stayed with me was that some sociologist somewhere did a study on people's money and happiness levels, and concluded that the adage 'money can't buy you happiness' was true in almost all instances. The two exceptions to this were (a) the very, very poor and (b) people who are sick.

The speaker pointed out that this meant that your money can't increase your happiness, but your money can increase somebody else's happiness. So give it away. Generously.

No comments: